Wednesday, September 21

Mindfulness

I have a tumultuous relationship with my mind. It's a beautiful and terrible place, one I know a little better for not having had as much external stimulation in recent years. My knowledge of it has alerted me to the fact that it could do with a little cultivating.

I am prone to wandering thoughts, epic social post-mortems, shallow breathing, fear of sitting in physical discomfort, worries about how I can't keep going, and a desire to flit between distracting medias to avoid reality, which makes me less content and more terrified of existing fully in the gift of the current moment.

Several medics have encouraged me to explore the concept of mindfulness, and just after the latest encouragement, a friend alerted me to an online, free, six week course through Monash University. I have begun it, and it's bite sized and very encouraging.

You can still join now, and exercise your mind:

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/mindfulness-wellbeing-performance

No comments:

Post a Comment